Guide to configure wifi Router with PTCL modem

Discussion in 'PTCL Broadband' started by Admin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I am going to use a TP-Link router here for writing these steps but these are generic so these steps can be used to configure any router with your PTCL modem. We would also change the IP address for the router and disable router from getting an IP automatically which in other words mean disabeling DHCP on the router.

1.Plug in your routers power cable and turn it on.

2.Now that your router is turned on you need to connect this router to your computer using an ethernet cable. Please connect using the LAN port.

3.Your computer will establish a connection with the router automatically as DHCP is enabled on the router by default.

4. Open firefox or whatever browser you use for surfing websites and type in the routers default IP address in the address bar which in our case is http://192.168.1.1 as we are using a TP link router. Please find out what the default IP is for your router from the user manual if you are using a different brand.

5. You would see a login prompt and your default id and pass word are both "admin" without the quotes. Once you hit enter after entering admin in both the fields you would see the admin console on your browser.

6. Go to the LAN option listed under Network and change the IP address to 192.168.1.2 and save. The reason we are doing this is because your PTCL modems IP address is 192.168.1.1 and we dont want a conflict resulting into a mess. Once you save the new IP address your router will automatically reboot.

7. Once your router is restarted you need to open the admin console again but this time you would need to use the new IP address that we have changed it to which is http://192.168.1.2 and again enter the same user name and password which is "admin" and you will see the admin console again.

8. Go t the option that says Wireless Settings and you would see the SSID field. Please change it to something more individual because thats the name you would see when you are looking for your wifi network and please dont use any rude words as this can be seen by every one who lives near by :) Use some thing like "My home network" or soemthign on those lines.

9. Change the country to Pakistan or where ever you live and rest of the settings can be left to whatever the default is.

10. Now go to the Wireless security option to make sure no unauthorised people are able to access your wifi network. Choose wpa-psk option as it is reasonably secured unless some hacking topshot lives near by you are pretty safe using this option. You can choose the encription option TKIP or AES.

11.Enter the PSK pass phrase that you can remember and try using alphabets and numbers to make sure people are not able to guess it. It is generally safer to choose a non dictionary set of aplhabets that make no sense.

12. Go to DHCP option and click on disable.

13. Your Router is ready to use, now just plug the ethernet with modem.

14. Save everything and now go to Tools and click on reboot. This will restart your modem using the new settings that we have saved in all the above stept.

15. Your router is now all set and all you need to do is connect the router with the modem using an ethernet cable. You can now take out the cable that connects to router with your computer and use the wifi network that we have created to use the internet.

If you have furthur questions then please post a reply here and I would be more then happy to help you every step of the way if you are still nto abel to get it right.

Please dont forget to hit the facebook like and G+ button at the bottom of this page if this post was helpful.

Thanks

UPDATE: I have written a guide for configuring a PTCL adsl broadband modem that you can use to configure your modem with PTCL adsl broadband connection.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Saim Mughal

Saim Mughal New Member

Salam,this is saim mughal sir tell me that is there any way that i connect my tp link router with ptcl modem by using wifi signal of ptcl wireless modem not by ethernet cabal if u have any way then plz tell me my email is ***.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  3. Abid

Abid Member

I can not say for sure Saim, but I dont think you can connect without using an ethernet cable.

4. Saim Mughal

Saim Mughal New Member

Bro i did by using ptcl wireless signal and it connected with tp link and tp link wireless modem also through signal the around a near area but there was a problem that was it did not browse it this thing i did not understand it and i am finding the solution of this

5. jaheen100

jaheen100 New Member

Thanks for the guidance about to WiFi router. It will helpful to connect with ptcl modem.

6. Noman Ahmed

Noman Ahmed New Member

Me using TP-Link Mr-3420 Router. Issue is when going to connect using notebook Wifi, it shows "limited connectivity" until I reboot router. How to configure router so it directly connects without reboot each and everytime?

7. Admin

Hi Noman,

To enable your router to connect automatically you would need to enable DHCP as PPPoE would need manual dialing under normal circumstances. I hope this helps.

8. Shabbir

Shabbir New Member

Hi admin
    Actually my problem is that I have just bought a ptcl wifi modem, which later on didnt give me range, they say that it is around 10 meters range but the range is only covering the TV lounge area where I have installed my modem. I was then told to buy TPlink router, I bought the router TL-WR841N and I installed it, the result was the same range I got by the ptcl wifi. I couldnt even use it it my room. what should I do?

9. Admin

There seems to be some manufacturing defect. Have you contacted the manufacturer's customer support? If it is still under warranty then get it replaced else get your local computer repair shop have a look into it for you.

10. Pirate

Pirate Member

You need to enable DHCP and it would dial automatically.

11. farhat

farhat New Member

Hi

I have ptcl modem that is not connecting to the internet my kids reset it by its reset button now i am unable to even connect it by cable? Can u please help me to find solution to this problem? Ip address 198.168.1.1 is also not connecting. No connection is can be established at all. Please help I request to ptcl office to please set up my modem but no one came to help me. Kindly help me to find out its setup.

Thanks

Need help to set my ptcl modem. from 0

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  12. Pirate

Pirate Member

Try 192.168.1.2 instead.

13. omer

omer New Member

My ptcl default password admin admin doesn't work n no body has changed it what m I supposed to do????

14. Admin

Every modem and router has a reset button either at the back side of the modem or underneath it. Please make sure you have all the settings handy before you reset it if you have to. Resetting by pressing the reset button will restore all the factory settings including the default user name and password.

15. omer

omer New Member

I don't know the settings ... I knew resetting would make it default factory ..... Is there any other way..? Or kindly if u know the settings let me know

16. Admin

Omer brother this thread I wrote is for exactly that purpose. Please check the top of this page, all the settings and step by step instructions are posted up there.

Have you tried admin as user name and password as password?